Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why "Gilbert?"


So many people have asked..."why Gilbert?" ie. we really don't like the name so it must be a family name or have some special significance???  Actually, it is neither.  Though I am an Anne of Green Gables fan from WAY back (Gilbert Blythe), and did work on an historic renovation/addition with the "survivors" of SRG Gilbert Hall, the name Gilbert came a bit more simply. Nathan and I were in a quandry; what to name our son....no names really spoke to us.  We had lists and lists of cities that we'd travelled to, people we'd interacted with, family names, any italian or scottish names...Nothing. Literally, it was an eleventh hour addition.  I was reading a book by Elizabeth Gilbert in my last book club. I'd been reading it for a while and one night just looked at the cover. GILBERT just jumped out at me. I asked Nathan if he liked it and it jumped to the top of the list...along with "Desmond." We were and still are HUGE Lost fans and loved the mystic of Desmond. So, at the moment of truth Nathan selected "Gilbert." It was fair, I liked it, too and really I'd selected Evelyne's name (I'd always wanted my daughter to be called Evelyne since I was a little girl myself.) Gilbert Kelley (my maiden name) Knight. Gilbert, now I love it and couldn't have thought of a better name for the boy I hear crying, laughing, talking to me every day. Gilbert with the crazy sticking up hair and very sweet nature. His hugs are the best ever...anyone who knows him will tell you...he LOVES to hug. My sweet "Gilly"...a nickname coined by Evelyne. You are a treasure to us all.

No comments: