Thursday, December 17, 2009

1 angel + 1 rock star = christmas sanity

In the throes of the days before christmas when all through the house all the creatures are stirring! Trying to finish gifts, get them wrapped, get those last minute gifts, and re evaluate your quickly diminishing budget. It's nice to have a break; a positive cute little break. Kids dressing up, singing, playing their part totally oblivious to the daily mayhem of the holidays.

Gilbert and Evelyne gave us that break last weekend at their Christmas Programs at our church . It was great to hear the songs and sing along, made me think of Christmas when I was a kid.


My favorite thing was singing songs, listening to my parents records...yes records...and baking with my mom. Our favorite thing to make as kids were christmas ornament cookies; you know the ones you cut out with cookie cutters and decorate with frosting and sprinkles.  Ours always turned out totally ugly with masses of frosting for hair and giant globules for eyes...they were scary. Oh but were they tasty. Not too sweet, buttery creamy yumminess.
So as I enter the final countdown, as my mother did before me, I'll try to remember my everyday madness is part of my children's memories; the baking, the music, the movies, the general mood and feel of the holidays. Thanks Gilbert, my little angel, and Evelyne, my little rock star, for giving mama a reminder of what Christmas is really about.

No comments: