Monday, September 14, 2009

Imaginary Friends

Gilbert has imaginary friends. It's so funny, I've never experienced that before but he really can live in a bizarro gilbert world and think it's totally normal. I kept correcting him for a while saying, "no, cole didn't sleep in your bed last night," and "no, this isn't dog food it's people food." Then I realized, with the help of Nathan, that he is playing in an imaginary world and wants us to listen and participate. So, I learned that "Cole" is his imaginary friend. When he comes to me with cupped hands saying "mom here's your food" I pretend to eat it. He goes on his merry way like everything is normal. When he wakes up and says "time to get on my space ship," I say, "ok, let's go downstairs and find it." It takes some getting used to, but I'm learning and sometimes I wish I really could fly...

No comments: