Monday, March 08, 2010

sheer insanity

I should have learned...years ago...and have made the mistake more than once by trusting the Knights when it comes to outdoor recreation. This past weekend we went to Sunriver 30+ people in all. We had a great time visiting and soaking in the hot tub. Saluting with multiple margaritas, and taking turns watching each others' kids. That part was good.
So, you all see that map? That was our Saturday outing, a seemingly mild 4 mile snowshoe loop around Swampy Lakes in Central Oregon. It was called the "porcupine trail" and as we said by the end, the phrase "mountain goat" is a much better name. You see those black lines? That is where the skiiers go, a mild trail to the shelter, and a mild trail back. You see those red "devil" lines? That is the snowshoer's trail; a mild trek to the shelter, and a torturous punishment back. Now, I want to say, the only one actually looking at the map before said adventure was Nathan, who was on back country skis. Nick, Becky, Camryn, Evelyne, Gilbert and I were all the snowshoe groupies.
I also want to put this other bit of information out there....children on backs. I was carrying Gilbert on my back for the last 2 miles after the shelter and Nathan had Evelyne. She was a great little snowshoer for the first almost 2 miles but was pooped after that. Nick was carrying Camryn the entire time.
So, as you can see from the map, we went up a bit of a butte that entirely kicked our butts. I honestly have never been more exhausted and didn't think I had it in me. Thank goodness I've been working out or I'd really have been in trouble. We all made it back safe & sound. The closest thing I can think of as to why on earth it is called "porcupine" trail is that your calves feel penetrated by porcupine quills....and mine still do.

1 comment:

Tammy Williams said...

You should have taken us up on a nice calm walk around the lake....haha. Sounds like a fun adventure though. Something you will remember for some time to come.